BIND Question

Stefan Puiu stefanpuiu at itcnetworks.ro
Thu Jul 22 17:09:44 UTC 2004

G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 11:07, aziz.bouassab at pwc.be wrote:
>

>>Dear,
>>
>>The following message is logged each time I reload my bind dns:
>>

>>The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( named ) cannot be found. The
>>local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
>>DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
>>information is part of the event: directory c:\var\named is world-writable.
>>
>>Any idea how I can rid of this message.
>>

>DLL? A windows box? If yes then my first reaction would be to suggest
>you replace windows with an OS that can grant proper rights, such as
>Linux.
>
>My second reaction is to have you research how to set up permissions on
>your system.

Hmm, I have a BIND installation on a FAT32 partition, and I'm not
getting the error about the world-writable dir, though AFAIK FAT32 isn't
exactly good at handling permissions. Maybe installing under the default
directory, C:\Windows\System32\dns might help?

By the way, Aziz, my previous message will help you get rid of the

"The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( named ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event:"

part, not the continuation.