Security Question

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Jul 22 08:42:53 UTC 2004

tnaves at linkwest.net wrote:
> I was reading some stuff by Microsoft on split dns.  They insist that a
> dns server on a private network  should never use a root hints file but
> should always forward to the dns server at you ISP.

I wouldn't consider MS authorative regarding dns. What they call "best practice"
might be unscalable, slow and buggy.

> What do you all think about this?  Is it safe to use root hints from a
> private network behind a firewall or should you always forward?

Forwarding is seldom a good way, however learning more is better then
taking (ill-informed advices) from strangers.  Go and get the "reference book"
"managing dns and bind", 4.ed from o'reilly. isbn 0-596-00158-4

--
Peter Håkanson