Inheritance from globally-set options to zone statements

Simon Dodd simon.dodd at joink.com
Wed Jul 21 20:52:32 UTC 2004

Thanks, Kevin. I have another question, regarding the serial number.
Albitz/Liu (Ed.4), pp151-152, states that while one CAN place a period in a
serial number, BIND 4x interprets the serial number by treating the number
trailing a period as a multiplier for the number before the period, then
appends the original multiplier, leading to some weird issues (e.g. to BIND
4, 1.1 > 1.10). What neither the Albitz/Liu book, nor a quick web search,
has made clear is whether BIND 9x reproduces this behaviour.

The specification handed down to me is that we want to be using the format
date.customer number.revision number, e.g. 20040721.6651.02. If BIND 9x
behaves the same way as BIND 4 does in this regard (which is my principal
question), then (and here's my comprehension check question) surely the
proposed serial number convention couldn't possibly work, because BIND will
multiply the numbers way above and beyond the 32-bit maximum
(20040721.6651.02, for example, I'm thinking would become
11111000010001100000010111101101010110, which is 7 characters too long).

Regards,
Simon