changing any dns server attribute bumps SOA serial

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 21 00:53:38 UTC 2004

In article <cdk5lb$28q$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Jeff Stevens wrote:
>
> >I don't know the history here, but I am told the BIND 4 servers did not bump
> >the serial when the zone attributes changed but only when the zone data
> >changed, and I have a customer that is not happy his BIND 8 servers do zone
> >transfers when he updates the attributes (no zone data changes).
> >
> >What is the reason for the SOA now incrementing, so that I can respond to
> >this?
> >
> What do you mean by "zone attributes"? SOA values? The SOA is a record
> in the zone, so if it changes, the SOA *should* be bumped, since the
> zone as a whole has changed. If BIND 4 didn't do this, then it was a bug.

The only time BIND changes the SOA serial number by itself is when the
server implements dynamic update.  Since this wasn't implemented until
BIND 8, I don't understand what this thread is talking about.  BIND 4
never had any reason to bump the serial number by itself, it's something
that the DNS administrator always had to do after he edited the zone
file.  And he should do it even if the only change he's made is to the
other fields of the SOA record -- otherwise, those changes won't
propagate to the slaves.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA