mx records directing to intermediate servers

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 20 19:47:09 UTC 2004

In article <cdjmi7$23kh$1 at sf1.isc.org>, lililevy at zahav.net.il (lili)
wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have a basic question on mail transfer:
>
> when i send an email,
> my smtp server looks for the recipient smtp server in the dns (mx
> record).
> when will the mx record direct the emil to an intermediate smpt
> server,
> and when will it direct the email to the final smtp server (=so the
> email will be transferred directly to it's destination, with no
> intermediate stations).
>
> are they any rules? standards? common use?

See RFC 2821 for the full details.  Basically, it tries the servers in
increasing order of the preference value (and servers with the same
value are tried in random order among themselves) until it is successful
at making an SMTP connection.  Some mailers will also fail over to a
backup server if the connection is made but there's a fatal error during
the SMTP dialogue; however, I don't think this is common, so you
shouldn't depend on it.  In particular, you shouldn't have different
communities of users on each server, because the sending server will not
fail over when it gets an "Unknown recipient" error -- as soon as it
gets this error from any receiver it will return the message to the
sending user.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA