DNS Load Balancing

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 20 09:16:45 UTC 2004

wcbasquin <wcbasquin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,

> When using round robin DNS load distribution is it possible to still
> return multiple addresses in the response?  I have a situation where
> the resolver can handle multiple addresses for backup, using the first
> address as primary and the other addresses are stored in case the
> first address becomes unavailable. My understanding is that round
> robin will select from multiple address and send just one address in
> the response.  If this is the case then I will loose the resiliency of
> returning multiple addresses.  If this is not possible using standard
> BIND could it be done with lbnamed?

You are asking for the client-side part, the resolver. And yes, all
answers for adresses is returned in a struct that has a list of addresses.

Some (broken) apps only picks the first address, other tries the first,
if that does not respond tries the list until a working address is found
or the list ends.

The server side might be interesting too, if implemented in a way that only
one address is returned, there is no way a client can try another address.

--
Peter Håkanson