two questions: zone transfers and WKS unknown protocol

Michael Varre bind9 at kishmish.com
Thu Jul 15 17:17:50 UTC 2004

Include statement should be - without quotes - "include filename;" no $

(at least that's why I use in my named.conf - don't see why it would be any
different in a zone file)

> =
> does a zone transfer, does
> it get all of the information that is in both the syrhosts and the =
> syrhosts.manual file and put it in the backup
> file on the slave?  Or does the slave need to have the syrhosts.manual =
> file copied to it separately?  How
> is the $INCLUDE statement handled with zone transfers?

When the zone is read it is read as one file - the fact that there is a file
included is transparent. Don't think it is possible to re-include as a
separate file once it is transferred to the slave on the slave.

> My second question concerns the WKS record.  I noticed the following error
> =
> in /var/adm/messages
> when I start or HUP named v 9.2.3.  I don't get these messages for version
> =
> 9.2.1.  As a test, I tried removing=20
> the "59" and "57" from the line, and I don't see the errors when starting
> =
> named.  Did
> something change between the versions?  Any ideas?
>
> Jul 13 12:19:12  named[20707]: [ID 873579 daemon.error] dns_rdata_
> fromtext: /usr/local/domain/syrhosts.manual:1132: near 'TCP': unknown =
> protocol

Looks pretty self explanatory. What is in your /etc/services file for port
59? Chances are it has a "#".  That file reads that as a commented line. So
uncomment and name the protocol. Then place the same name in the wks record
for port 59.

p.s. GO SU!