master and slave for same zone on with different IP addresses

asim khan asim.khan at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 11:03:26 UTC 2004

Hello BIND-users,

This maybe an obvios or stupid question but I'm a dns newbie ...
I set up a virtual interface hme0:2  for the slave nameserver with
hostname prospero.umds.ac.uk for zone umds.ac.uk on a  solaris 5.9 ultra5,
also running as the master nameserver with hostname lime.umds.ac.ukfor
the zone umds.ac.uk on a diffrent IP address on the real interface hme0

Using the command dig @prospero.umds.ac.uk www.kcl.ac.uk there was no
response with a timeout error..?
Basically although master and slave nameservers have diffrent IP
addresses they are on the same server ..