CNAME Error

Guido Roeskens groeskens at bluewin.ch
Mon Jul 12 08:00:30 UTC 2004

Hello,

Yann Debonne wrote:
> I've just migrated to Mandrake 10 which comes with BIND 9.2.3.
> My other two slave name servers are BIND 9.2.1.
>
> Please tell me what is wrong with the CNAME portion of this file:
>
> -----------------------
>
> $ttl 38400
> @ IN SOA milk.purecreamery.com. jim.dovecanyontech.com. (
>                         2004071102
>                         10800
>                         3600
>                         604800
>                         38400 )
>
>                 IN      NS      milk.purecreamery.com.
>                 IN      NS      wall.softplanners.com.
>                 IN      NS      gate.debonne.net.
>                 IN      A       67.122.54.81
>
>                 IN      MX      0 gate.debonne.net.
>
> www            CNAME   dovecanyontech.com.
> ftp            CNAME   dovecanyontech.com.
>
>                 IN      TXT     "Location: Yann's Office"
>                 IN      RP      jim.dovecanyontech.com. Jim

^^^^ you have a CNAME record for ftp.WHATEVER.DOM ,a TXT and
      a RP record.
This will give you "CNAME and other data" error and should be logged.

- Either you want the TXT and RP records belonging to the
   domain record itself.
   * move the records above the CNAME records.
   * Or move an "at" character '@' at the start of the TXT record like
@                IN      TXT     "Location: Yann's Office"

- If you want the RP an TXT records to be part of the
   ftp.WHATEVER record, you cannot use a CNAME.

- Explanation: When there is no label at the start of a line,
   the label (name) is inherited from the last label seen above
   the record. In this case the label (name) for the TXT and RP
   records will be ftp.WHATEVER.DOM

Regards,   Guido