Fw: Switching Host

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 14 00:14:12 UTC 2004

Josh Knepfle wrote:

> [...]
I think you're missing the fact that the TTL on the NS records is never
expiring. In order to "fix" this, you'd have to change not just a
"procedure", but the whole logic of how DNS caching works, and the end
result would be a diminishment of caching and significantly more traffic
to the TLD servers. I can't imagine the TLD operators ever agreeing to
such a change, especially when the syndrome can be prevented with a
little advance planning and co-operation between ISPs/hosting-companies
and their  client domainholders.

                                       - Kevin