fake primary

Christian Smith none at i.am.invalid
Tue Jul 13 03:05:06 UTC 2004

Assume latest BIND 9.x or 8.x

Question un setting up the SOA record for a configuration with a
hidden/fake primary.

I have 3 name servers, ns1, ns2 and ns3.example.com

ns1.example.com is the master with ns2 and ns3 being slaves.

Ordinarily, doing a hidden primary, the MNAME field in the SOA would
contain ns1.example.com and there would be two NS records in the zone
file pointing to ns2 and ns3.

Now, if I remove ns1.example.com from the MNAME and replace it with
ns2.example.com, NOTIFY events won't get sent to ns2.example.com when
the zone file is updated on ns1.example.com (since the server in the
MNAME field is excluded from the list).

Now, if I configure the also-notify option in named.conf to list
ns2.example.com, will this cause the NOTIFY event to get sent to
ns2.example.com?

Are there any known problems with this setup?

Would it be better to put bogus.example.com in the MNAME field?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

--
Christian Smith