Reverse Dns Question...is it really necessary or not?

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Tue Jul 13 00:57:56 UTC 2004

Kevin Darcy wrote:
>Steve Friedl wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:32:23PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>>

>>>I think that bears further looking into. It's _possible_ that the lack
>>>of reverse records is the root cause, since some misguided mail
>>>servers/admins use reverse lookups as a kind of litmus test for spam (as
>>>if spammers couldn't come up with their own reverse records, duh).
>>>

>>AOL refuses incoming email for servers that have no rDNS, so it's
>>not exactly oddball mailadmins doing it.
>>

>I wasn't aware that the mentality had penetrated that far, since we
>happen to provide reverse records for all of our outgoing mail servers
>on a "courtesy" basis. Thanks for the update. I guess the next round
>will be for SPF records to become _de_facto_ mandatory, followed by a
>procession of other ill-advised, DNS-advertisement-based schemes to
>combat spam...
>
>- Kevin

I am not so sure SPF could be called "ill-concieved", looking at the
spam I get, ALL of it comes from hi-jacked PCs, they ALL connect
DIRECTLY to the receiver. None passes through the outgoing ISPs mail-relay.

Using SPF would remove all of the spam I currently receive. There will
then be other delivery means, but in my mind there is good thinking
behind SPF.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.