Entry in "search" of "resolv.conf" breaks DNS lookup

Uli Gruber uli.2001 at gmx.de
Sat Jul 10 12:06:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

my computer has a private IP (10.x.y.z) because it is behind a server A
which does IP masquerading. I am using Suse 9.1. My DHCP
generated /etc/resolv.conf has three "nameserver" entries (the first of
them is server A), and it has a "search" entry.

For the private 10.x.y.z IPs, there is a DNS service running (with
mydomain.local adresses, e.g. "myhost.mydomain.local"). Everything seems to
work fine, e.g. "nslookup myhost.mydomain.local", and if "somedomain.com"
is in "search" path, then "nslookup somehost" works if there is
"somehost.somedomain.com".

However, when I add "mydomain.local" to "search" in "resolv.conf", there is
a big problem: starting applications (e.g. emacs) takes about 30 extra
seconds, and using gdb, I have found out that during these 30 seconds, they
try to get a hostname. However, simply doing "nslookup myhost" returns my
IP immediately, and also every other "nslookup" works fine without delays.

Therefore, something seems to be broken with this local domain.

I am one of the administrators of the server A which is the primary
nameserver, therefore I could provide you with any information you need on
this topic.

However, I do not know where to start looking for the reason for this
strange behaviour.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Uli