packet too big

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Jul 9 21:52:22 UTC 2004

Michael Varre <bind9 at kishmish.com> wrote:

> [...]

The problem is that cisco tries to decode DNS packets and fails. They would be better
off treating dns packets as any other packets and have the user set up
a real dns-server as "proxy" if they want.

( with "proxy" i mean a nameserver started inside fw, clients asking that
nameserver who in it's turn might go out for answers)

>> large list which
>> won't fit into 512 bytes. Unless you prefer to use TCP for DNS data.

> I wasn't aware that was an option.
It's not an option, it's part of the protocol spec.

--
Peter Håkanson