Opinion/Ideas Request: Does this design seem best?

George george.e.sullivan at saic.com
Thu Jul 8 15:33:44 UTC 2004

I have put a small 160k bmp file at
http://www.geocities.com/geelsu/DNSidea.bmp
for this thread.

I understand DNS some, but have not really ever set
it up, especially with a Dual card system and
with two different domains.

Having the picture open in another window will
help now.

The Email Sever with Win/Exchange 2003 will be
in both domains.  It will have
two NICs as you can see in the picture.  I have
also cut on 2003's Routing and Remote Access using
the custom configuration and selected Routing only.
So no NAT or Firewall stuff at this time.

I was thinking the Email Server/Win2003 system would
work for DNS for both the inside and outside domains.
Inside systems will have it as their default DNS
Server.  Inside systems will also have 144.32.3.44
as their default router.  Then 144.32.3.44 will have
as its default router 8.50.1.44, and this will have
its default router as 8.50.1.254.  THe TCP/IP properties
gives me a warning about multiple Default gateways on
disjoint networks, but I am not sure if this setup
qualifies as disjoint.  An inside PC client that uses
144.32.3.44 as its default router is able to bring up
webpages from "the Cloud"

8.50.1.44 will be know as EServer-Nic1.the.outside.net
and 144.32.3.44 will be know as EServer-Nic2.the.inside.net.
I am to sure how to setup all this.

I also have DNS on a Unix server in the inside.  Windows 2000
use to have DNS setup for a secondary text base domain that
would work in Active Directory, but I am not sure which
selection this is in the new 2003.  DNS setup is worded
differently now, with other selections.

144.32.3.50 is another Win 2003 system that now has
user accounts, files, etc on it.  I did not know
if I should put it as the default DNS server for inside
systems.

Systems in "the cloud" can ping my 8.50.1.44 or outside
NIC card.

For security, there will be a PIX box between the router
and the outside NIC in the future.

Anyway, does this setup seem sound in design?
Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks