named, update denied.

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Thu Jul 8 18:25:11 UTC 2004

Danny Mayer wrote:
>At 04:28 PM 7/7/2004, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>

>>Ok, that is the question. W2k has a default setting in its tcpip
>>properties that says "update DNS with my name and IP" something like
>>that. That means it will every 10 seconds or so try to update the
>>nameserver given to it to reflect its presence. If you don't want this
>>to happen, you should manually turn this "feature" off in properties for
>>the network port in question.
>>
>>This is much more annoying when you have the nameserver on a dial-up
>>connection (I had via an ISDN-router) it will call the nameserver to get
>>that updated about every 10 seconds as long as it is on.
>>

>I don't think that's correct. It will try every 10, 20,30, 40, 50, 60 minutes
>and then recycle back to 10, 20,... until it succeeds. Even if it suceeds
>it will
>reregister the address every 24 hours. This is for W2k systems. I read the
>documentation on this process. I forget where.
>
>Danny

I won't argue these details, I am sure you are right today.
At the time I experienced this "feature", I have seen that I could just
close the connection (telnet the router and issue the command) before it
would pop up again. Maybe 1 minute, never as long as 10 minutes. If you
pay your own dial-up service, you (I) will notice; I did not keep that
going longer than it took to realise what approximately went wrong, so I
don't know if it will back off to 60 minutes. This all happened even
before servicepack 1 and I had no nameserver on my premises, I had to
rely on the ISPs; things may have changed since. Changing (checking)
this setting is now a part of my standard setup for any windows host.

I am still sure this is the origin of the suspicious error logs from the
original question. And I still consider the default to be wrong for a
system like windows (for the desktop).

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.