Fedora Core 2 as a slave - doesn't want to play?

googleboy mynews44 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 18:13:10 UTC 2004

I can't find any specific information about how it starts up it's
daemon,  either,  so I don't know for sure whether it starts with
chroot named or not.  p sreports it only starting with -u naemd so I
assume not.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to want to write the temp zone
transfer files.  In messages I get entries like:

Jul  4 03:52:00 foo named[1789]: dumping master file:
slave/tmp-XXXXW4C5CY: open: file not found
Jul  4 03:52:00 foo named[1789]: transfer of 'domain.com/IN' from
203.110.141.5#53: failed while receiving responses: file not found
Jul  4 03:52:00 foo named[1789]: transfer of 'domain.com/IN' from
203.110.141.5#53: end of transfer

The /etc/named.conf file has an entry for the domain:

zone "domain.com" {
      type slave;
      file "slave/domain.com.db";
      masters { 192.168.141.5; };
};

which seems correct according to the info I found on using FC2 as a
slave.

I could find no docs confirming that fedora core 2 named tries to put
the zone tranfers into /var/named/slaves but I am working under teh
assumption that it does, as that directory is preexisting,  with
ownership of named.naemd and permissions of 770.   I opened it up to
777 and still had no joy.    I am sure that it must be pretty obvious
and clear,  but I can't see it just now.

The master server is an Open BSD 3.5 server running bind 9.2.3.   It
works great.   And was working great as a master to Fedora Core1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

googleboy