Multiple domainnames only one IP

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 6 21:40:26 UTC 2004

In article <ccf2bt$270a$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "David W. Brown" <dwbrown at webitplanet.com> wrote:

> Hello BIND and DNS gurus, is there some DNS magic that will allow the use of
> a single IP address but multiple domain names? I have seen this work using
> BIND 8 (vis-a-vis HSPHERE) but not BIND version 9. Ideas and suggestions
> welcomed. Thanks, David :-)

I don't know what HSPHERE is, but you do this the same way in BIND 9 as
you did in BIND 8 and BIND 4.  There's no "magic", you just have
multiple A records with the same IP address:

host1 IN A 1.2.3.4
host2 IN A 1.2.3.4
and so on...

You can also use CNAME records to create aliases in most cases, e.g.

host3 IN CNAME host1

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA