2 problems: "temporary name lookup failures" & updating TLD servers

Linda W. bind at tlinx.org
Mon Jul 5 06:32:25 UTC 2004

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> <> I used to have (still do) the root servers for com, org, net,
>
>You mean the authoritative servers for c/n/o? Because the root servers
>are serving the root only (a few exceptions still linger).

I have b/c/e/g/n/o listed with their authoritative root servers in
"stub" zones
each with their list of masters and their own stub file.  Until recently the
stub files were auto-updated by bind.  Recently

Recently, nstld.com stopped working for gov and org and changed
to using gov.zoneedit.com and ultradns.net.  It appears that the
corresponding "stub" file for "gov" may no longer be getting updated by
my running copy of bind, while the rest are.

I just did a "touch" on the "gov" stub file about an hour and a half ago and
am now able to resolve gov addresses.  However, the serial# in the gov file
indicates it may have not been auto updated for about a week (since
20040628(02)).

Ahhh...maybe I see the problem.  The new serial # for .gov is
1088560887.  Quite
a bit less than 2004xxx.  Bummer.  Won't get updated for a long time
that way.
Perhaps I should manually edit the serial# in the stub file to 0 ands if
that
resync's things...(*crossing fingers*)...(?)...

>>and would like it to keep it's cached data, when possible, over
>>reboots.
>>

>What is your network connectivity so you need such a "caching"?

How does network connectivity relate to a need or desire for caching/local
name resolution?  Wouldn't you want name resolution to be generally as fast
as possible?

Linda