2 problems: "temporary name lookup failures" & updating TLD servers

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.af
Sun Jul 4 03:25:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 02:36:12PM -0700,
 Linda W. <bind at tlinx.org> wrote
 a message of 157 lines which said:

> It runs as master to the internal domain, use to run as a slave to
> TLD's for EDU and a few that allowed it so it wouldn't constantly
> ask for individual requests,

I believe it is a strange practice. As you noticed, it creates a lot
of administrative overhead (keeping tracks of the master's addresses)
and network administrators have certainly more interesting things to
do.

Why not relying purely on caching?

> What about the list of root-server IP's.  There have been a few IP's
> that have changed over the years that I manually update when I do
> system upgrades/maintenance.

Taking into account the rythm of changes in the root-servers IP
addresses, a "dig @a.root-servers.net NS ." every two years is more
than enough.