configuring secondary zone on windows 2000 server

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 16:42:28 UTC 2004

In article <cc3vtj$2aqv$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Barry Finkel
<b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov> wrote:

> I tried some DNS AXFRs from my Solaris 9 workstation:
>
>      britaine% dig sapo.co.za axfr @sdsra.sapo.co.za
>
>      ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> sapo.co.za axfr @sdsra.sapo.co.za
>      ; Bad server: sdsra.sapo.co.za -- using default server and timer opts
> [snip]
>      britaine% dig sapo.co.za axfr @open.sapo.co.za.
>
>      ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> sapo.co.za axfr @open.sapo.co.za.
>      ; Bad server: open.sapo.co.za. -- using default server and timer opts
> [snip]
>      britaine% dig sapo.co.za axfr @nthodns1.sapo.co.za.
>
>      ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> sapo.co.za axfr @nthodns1.sapo.co.za.
>      ; Bad server: nthodns1.sapo.co.za. -- using default server and timer opts
> [snip]
>
> I used three of the numerous DNS servers listed in the NS list for that
> zone.  Each time dig replied:
>
>      "Bad server"
>
> [snip]
>
> I am not sure exactly how to interpret these results.

The server names given in the posting are not in the sapo.co.za zone
visible on the Internet so trying to use them for zone transfers, at
least calling them by name, won't work.  I tried to reach some of the
systems by IP address but they appear to be unreachable - either
stealth-firewalled or simply not connected to the Internet.

I don't think remote debugging is going to be easy...

Sam