Why would win2k's nslookup trigger a call to root servers and host, dig not?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jan 30 21:54:05 UTC 2004

At 09:32 PM 1/29/04, Eel wrote:
>Hi,
>    I've intalled some new name servers and I've found that when
>running nslookup on win2k to a new server it triggers a call to root
>dns servers even though the particular domains are included in that
>server's zones.  If I look up the names with either Linux host or dig
>on that server, the root doesn't get called.
>
>Is there any difference on the type of queries that these tools use?=20
>I really don't want to open up calls to the root servers because it
>seems like a waste of bandwidth when it's not needed.
>
>Is it safe to assume that nslookup on win2k is just quirky or will
>other lookups be timing out?
>

>Thanks.

Nobody on this list has a clue as to how Microsoft implemented their
version of nslookup. You need to ask microsoft this question. We have
also deprecated even the ISC version of nslookup although it's still built
in the default build. nslookup requires a lookup for the name of the nameserver
being used. Did you set up PTR records for your nameservers?

You should use dig even on a windows platform and yes it is available for
windows. See the ISC Web site for the binary Windows BIND kit. It
includes dig but you don't have to install the BIND software to use it.

Danny