DNS for Private Network

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 22:13:12 UTC 2004

In article <bv8v8a$1p95$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Todd Beauchemin wrote:
> to do is create my own private domain adding in the servers on
> my local network.

Fun stuff.

> $TTL 86400
> @ IN SOA dns.todds-world. {
>    1999090200 ; serial no

Style comment: when I manually edit a zone I put a serial number derived
from the human-readable date: YYYYMMDDxx, "2004012800" for today's edit.

> ; Name Servers
>  IN NS dns
> [snip]
> cerberus  IN A 192.168.1.56
> dns   IN CNAME cerberus

This should be an A record for 192.168.1.56. Scroll back in the archives
a bit to see where I was just asking about this.

The probable error I see is that you have no
    $ORIGIN todds-world.
in the forward zone. Similarly the reverse zone should have
    $ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
These $ORIGIN directives should come at the beginning of the file. It
applies to any resource name *following* which does not end in "."

> However bind keeps give me parsing errors.  What am I doing wrong?

The specific errors are probably logged in syslog somewhere.

> Is this something that I cannot do?

:)

BIND ships with a very good Configuration Reference in HTML format. I
bookmarked my local copy in my browser, and I have thus been able to
solve most of my newbie issues. Good luck, have fun.
--
  /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
  or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply