Zones and IPs outside of my subnet

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Wed Jan 28 19:38:40 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   Another question, hopefully simpler than the last :).

   This may be obvious but if so I have missed the answer in my
n00biness. I have a friend who has a static IP assigned to him by his
ISP (totally unrelated to my ISP). He would like to have me add a zone
for a domain he has registered which I have no problem with. The
question I have though is can I simply point a zone at an IP I don't
directly have control of? If so, how do I handle the reverse lookup? I
have an '86.167.209.in-addr.arpa' record but I am also in control of
that IP slice. If I create another reverse lookup zone for his IP
address would that conflict with other reverse lookups elsewhere?

   Thanks for helping me get my noggin' around this!

Madison