Sortlist and individual zones

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 27 22:23:48 UTC 2004

In article <bv6kd7$747$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Brian Miller <bmiller at telstra.com.au> wrote:

> I have been asked to look into setting up out companies internal DNS to
> return different IP addreesses for a specific RR based upon the location of
> the client (clients in each state get the IP address of a local server).
>
> I can differentate between the clients easily enough based on their network,
> and it looks like I could do what's needed with the "sortlist" option.

I don't think this will work as you hope.  Clients don't generally query
authoritative nameservers directly, they query their local caching
nameserver, and the caching server recurses to contact the authoritative
servers.  Unless the caching server's admnistrator has overridden the
default settings, it will perform its own round-robin rotation of the
addresses, losing the ordering that you set up with sortlist.

What you need to use is views.  You'd need a different version of the
zone file for each block of addresses, containing just the server for
that area.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA