I want IPv4 preferred by host and dig

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Jan 21 12:54:13 UTC 2004

Hello,

I installed host and bind utilities, and they seem to prefer ipv6
addresses (below). I have ipv6 support on my machine, but I haven't
configured it.

When I want to query remote server defined by name and having ipv4 and
ipv6 addresses (e.g. ns.ripe.net), it seems that host and dig prefer ipv6
connections (looking at strace output of them).

Is it possible to tell those utilities to prefer ipv4 connections?

I haven't find relevant informations in the FAQ nor docs. Maybe I was
searching wrong - if so, could anyone point me to the right place?

The OS is Debian GNU/Linux 3.0, Linux 2.4.18 + usagi IPv6 patch,
version of dns utils 9.2.1;

Thank you.

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".