named appears to be "broken" -- (was: really whacky issues)

Edvard Tuinder listbind at lunytune.nl
Mon Jan 19 08:25:19 UTC 2004

According to Mark:
> RESOLV.CONF
> nameserver 66.70.83.244
> nameserver 80.249.99.30
> nameserver 205.201.1.20
>

> My hosts address is 151.201.141.231, the hostname is
> "router.downtownhelpdesk.ath.cx"

If your resolv.conf lists 66.70.83.244 as the primary nameserver, than the
problem you have is *not* related to a configuration problem on *your*
server.

You are using a nameserver from another organisation, which probably does
not permit you to use their nameservers as recursive nameserver.

Use a DNS server from your provider. All nameservers you have listed in
your resolv.conf do not appeart to me to be valid caching nameservers.

Again, the problem is not within your bind configuration, but in your
resolv.conf and 'illegal' use of foreign nameservers.

-Ed