having problem with subdomain delegation help!

Mr. David david at dpincorp.com
Sun Jan 18 20:58:08 UTC 2004

Simon Waters wrote:

>Mr. David wrote:
>

>>Simon Waters wrote:

>>>You can't put "company2.com" A records in the zone "company.com", why
>>>would anyone think of looking there for it?
>>>

>>This is the glue record.  won't I need this?   Thanks.
>>

>Glue is only needed where the nameserver a zone is delegated to is in
>the delegated domain.
>
>If the dns server for ops.example.com were dns1.ops.example.com, you
>would need glue, otherwise how would anything know where
>dns1.ops.example.com was?
>
>In general if your DNS server is in another zone (i.e.
>dns1.company2.com), how servers find information about company2.com
>answers is the problem of the admin of the company2.com zone.
>
>In your case there is a complication because dns1.company2.com is a
>private IP address, so you are presumably talking about a private
>network, and it is very hard to suggest the best approach without a
>better description of how this private DNS is arranged. You may need to
>ensure that all your name servers see the private view of the zone
>company2.com. It may be simpler to rename the DNS servers for
>ops.compay.com to dns1.ops.company.com and use a glue record.
>

>-- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --

I think the problem is with the company.com name server.   I tested
making my slave server ns2i.company.com as master for subdomain
ops.company.com.  I could query system.ops.company.com just fine when
using ns2i.company.com DNS server, but when i used ns1i.company.com it
doesn't see system.ops.company.com.

on ns1i.company.com this is the entry I have.

ops.company.com.       86400           IN      NS      ns2i.company.com.
ns2i.company.com.      86400   IN      A       10.200.2.252

Is there anywhere else do I need to make edit to delegate from master?

Thanks.