AD & DNS??

fih frhak at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 20:05:20 UTC 2004

Thank you very much for writing such a long and contemplative answer.

Still i don't understand why they have created a solution where A-records
must be located in the same domain as the SRV records. In my opinion this
must cause a lot of trouble for huge companies trying to migrate an old DNS
solution to fit  into AD. With regards to DNS having SRV records in one
domain and A-records in another is perfectly fine. With all your respect
clients don't have to ask anywhere else to resolve either A or SRV records.
All DNS servers within our enterprise share the same root nameservers and
should be able to resolve all internal FQDN. Our AD team claims that the
reason for the need of A and SRV records in the same domain are due to many
applications needs it, one example should be SMS.

I don't know AD so i need to trust our AD team and they have together with
Microsoft decided upon the global domain. But i must say that your words
sounds very much like my own thoughts. To me this global zone sounds like
going 20 years back and the use of a huge host file alternatively keeping
the WINS solution. Some say that Microsoft uses one global zone them selves.
I also heard that they had to build their own DNS management system,
probably since they got tired of always have to put a brick on the "down
arrow" to get to the bottom of the list when trying to manage their domain.
;-))

Please continue the discussion!

news:buelbr$2ff5$1 at sf1.isc.org...