Wildcard zone

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Thu Jan 15 16:44:08 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 01/15/2004 09:27:16 AM:
> Hi,
>
> I need to create a wildcard zone, kind of like Sitefinder.  I can't seem

> to make bind 9 accept this.  Following is the contents of my named.conf:
>
> options {
>          directory "/etc/namedb";
> }
>
> zone "*" {

The name "*" is probably not the best choice of a name for a zone.  After
all, do you really expect queries to a name that would literally end in
"*" ?:  For example:  www.foo.*

>          type master;
>          file "wildcard.zone";
> };
>
> And here's the contents of wildcard.zone:
>
> $TTL 86400
> @ IN SOA ns.wildcardtest.34sp.com. hostmaster.34sp.com. (
>          1
>          10800
>          3600
>          604800
>          86400
>          )
>     IN NS   ns.wildcardtest.34sp.com.
>
> *   IN A    192.168.0.2
> ns  IN A    192.168.0.1
>
> On running named, I get the following through syslog
>
> named[55848]: starting BIND 9.2.2
> named[55848]: using 1 CPU
> named[55848]: loading configuration from '/etc/namedb/named.conf'
> named[55848]: command channel listening on 127.0.0.1#953
> named[55848]: command channel listening on ::1#953
> named[55848]: dns_master_load: wildcard.zone:9: *: invalid NS owner name

> (wildcard)

This error is telling you that "*" cannot be the owner (left most field)
of an NS RR.  Notice that "@" is substituted by the origin which is "*".
This field is then repeated in subsequent entries until it is specifically
changed...

Hope this helps.

Dave...