Preliminary questions before installing Primary DNS server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 14 18:45:52 UTC 2004

Keith wrote:

>Hi, I was hoping to setup 2 separate www, dns, and mail servers, and
>have them serve as backups for each other. Here are the two machines
>I've got to work with:
>
>Primary DNS server for xtechsolutions.net  (Secondary DNS server for
>jerichoroad.net)
>NetBSD 1.6.1 running BIND 9.2.3
>  Cable modem
>  Domain Name: xtechsolutions.net
>  External NIC: 24.56.85.10  (static)
>  Internal NIC:  192.168.1.1
>
>Primary DNS server for jerichoroad.net (Secondary DNS server for
>xtechsolutions.net)
>NetBSD 1.6.1 running BIND 9.2.3
>  ADSL modem
>  Domain Name: xtechsolutions.net
>  External NIC: 216.206.233.187  (static)
>  Internal NIC:  10.0.0.1
>
>I've read portions of Cricket's DNS & BIND, 4th ed, and the DNS & BIND
>on NETBSD guide.  I worked through the example setup in the NetBSD
>guide, and *think* I've got a fairly good handle on the configuration
>files.  But I'm completely confused about where internal and external
>addresses actually fit into things (which shows that I don't have a
>fairly good handle on anything);)
>
>If my hostname is xtechsolutions.net, and resolves to 24.56.85.10, to
>what IP do I assign the name NS1.xtechsolutions.net (assuming the same
>box is serving as web and dns server)?  192.168.1.1?  I don't even
>know if I'm making my question clear, my background is serial
>communications, not TCP/IP, so I may just be missing something very
>silly.
>
>In using the BIND and NAMED on NETBSD guide, the author uses the
>following example:
>
>--------------------------
>Begin example
>-------------------------
>domain to delegate: example.com
>primary dns server for example.com: ns.example.com
>ns.example.com IP address: 10.0.0.1
>secondary dns server for example.com: ns.other.com
>ns.other.com IP address: 172.16.0.1
>
>Here is how it is going to look like in the parent/name registry DNS
>zone:
>;
>; Delegate example.com to ns.example.com DNS
>;
>
>Name       CLASS  TTL   TYPE  RR Data
>example.com     86400    IN NS ns.example.com
>                86400    IN NS ns.other.com
>ns.example.com  86400    IN A 10.0.0.1
>ns.other.com    86400    IN A 10.0.0.2    (NOTE: why is this not
>172.16.0.1?)
>
>The last 2 lines are called glue records. Glue record is an A record
>where the name appears on the right hand side of an NS record.
>Here's the named.conf file taken from the example in the BIND & NAMED
>on NETBSD guide.
>
>------------------------------
>End Example
>------------------------------
>
>I'm unclear as to whether to use my external IPs, which would
>translate as:
>
>domain to delegate: xtechsolutions.net
> [...]
A lot of examples use private addressing because the authors of the
examples are scared to death that if they put a public address in an
example, that legions of clueless users will leave that address in their
configs and whoever is unfortunate to have that public address will get
bombarded with nuisance traffic. But, the thing to remember is to
*never* publish private addresses on the public Internet.

This then raises the question: how do your internal clients get to your
websites? You might be able to arrange this through your firewall, i.e.
arrange for all accesses to the particular external address from an
internal client gets "short-circuited" to go to the internal box
instead, but not all firewalls (especially the low-end ones) are not
capable of this.

Another approach is to have the same names resolve differently in your
internal DNS than they do in your external DNS, so-called "split DNS".
With BIND, you can do this by running separate BIND instances on
separate boxes, separate BIND instances on the same box, listening on
different addresses, or within a single BIND instance using the "view"
feature (which can present different DNS "universes", differentiating by
the source address of the query).

All of this is covered in the "DNS and Internet Firewalls" section of
the _DNS_and_BIND_ book...

                                       - Kevin