Verizon problems - what else is new

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Jan 13 18:55:20 UTC 2004

Verizon has implemented something new.

My client tells me that Verizon tells them:

<snip>
Now, I don't totally understand all this, but what they're saying is
that
when they try to authenticate the domain that is sending the email
(which
should be raq41.provincetowndesign.com) the PTR record's IP Address is
65.58.240.193...and dnssys.com reports a different IP Address (or
something
like that).
</snip>

I've checked our forward/reverse DNS.

The email is coming from raq41.provincetowndesign.com.  Dig gives us
65.58.240.200.

But doing dig on 200.240.58.65.in-addr.arpa and doing nslookup on
65.58.240.200 gives us a cname and a ptr, and only the cname appears to
be for the exact IP#.

I'm guessing my upstream (who does reverse dns for me) is doing
something wrong, but I can't tell what.

If you have a moment, please do some lookups and let me know what you
think.

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation