Propagation Issues with Old Static IP Address?

Steven Goldstein stevengoldstein02 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 04:06:05 UTC 2004

Greetings and Happy New Year...

I am a web developer in Cleveland, Ohio and I host 2 websites for my
clients under the domain www.enableinternet.com. I recently relocated
to Ohio and set up my Apache Web Server with Speakeasy using a static
IP address. 66.93.11.213. My old IP address was 216.17.27.99 in New
Hampshire.

I am running Bind 4 on OpenBsd 3.2 and my enableinternet.com zone as
well as another domain, www.salamandergreetings.com seem to have
propagated fine based on the DNS change. (Please let me know if you
have a problems with these two, but I think they are OK.)

I am writing because my other domain name, www.nheoa.org seems to be
having a caching/propagation problem.

I often get Page Not Found Errors when I try access the site in my
internal network, yet no issues with my other domain names. Other
times, I can access www.nheoa.org using the same local Speakeasy
nameserver (64.81.159.2) Over the past few days, I have been able to
produce NSLOOKUP and DIG results returning my OLD and NEW IP addresses
at differing times.

A little research with www.dnsreport.com has told me the following:

WARNING. The parent servers (TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.) are not providing
glue for all your nameservers. This means that they are supplying the
NS records (host.example.com), but not supplying the A records
(192.0.2.53), which can cause slightly slower connections, and may
cause some incompatibilities with some programs (if the programs are
not fully RFC-compliant). This behavior is allowed by the RFCs. This
will usually occur if your DNS servers are not in the same TLD as your
domain (for example, a DNS server of "ns1.example.co.uk" for the
domain "example.com"). In this case, you can speed up the connections
slightly by having NS records that are in the same TLD as your domain

Yesterday, I resubmitted my new IP address to Network Solutions. I
have not seen an A record being added to the top level .ORG server as
of yet. I researched other websites in the .ORG domain space, and I am
not sure if this is my issue because they didn't have A records listed
either, only NS records. Someone in Australia was able to access
www.nheoa.org, but not wife working in New Hampshire. Very spotty.

I greatly appreciate and value any input on my problem that can be
offered...

Thanks again,

Steve