Why do some parent NSs "lie" about delegation records?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Jan 8 08:34:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 01:38:39PM -0600,
 Len Conrad <LConrad at Go2France.com> wrote
 a message of 50 lines which said:

> Is there some kind of religious war preventing agreement?

Verisign sent a press release bashing BIND and free software (work of
amateurs, the famous "200 techncial zealots") when they switched to
Atlas. A sufficient reason to endanger agreement :-)

> Why doesn't the organization that authorizes the registries impose a
> standard behavior?

ICANN? Whhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! You ask them to take
care of operations? Whhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa again!

> BIND doesn't respond with delegation or glue records in the ANS
> section, but only in the AUTH or ADD sections.

Read my message again: BIND 8 did what you want. BIND 9 does not. When
we switched ns3.nic.fr from BIND 8 to BIND 9, the script of one
registrar broke, because of a division by zero (they used the number
of answers as a denominator in a division).