Rebooting stops resolving for a while 2nd

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jan 7 18:08:09 UTC 2004

Gary Mayor <gary at abertron.co.uk> wrote:
> Gary Mayor wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I apologies for my stupidness i've changed everything for the real=20
>> domains and ip addresses. I'm with server matrix and i've had to do 2=20
>> reboots today for some strange reason but strangely enough after those=
=20
>> reboots everything seems to be working. This seems to be a problem tha=
t=20
>> has no sinc in it any ideas.
>>=20
>> Thanks
>>=20
>> Hi,
>> When I reboot my server sometimes my domains and mail servers are not
>> available for an unknown amount of time but after several hours
>> everything returns to normal and everything can be accessed. The stran=
ge
>> thing is if after a reboot I try to access the domain or mail server
>> from my machine at home it doesn't work but if I go somewhere on the n=
et
>> and try a ping test from somewhere else in the world it always works.
>> Can someone take a look at my main zone file and and a client zone fil=
>> and tell me if anything doesn't look right.
>>=20
>> Main Zone File
>> $ttl 38400
>> onebm.com.	IN	SOA	69.56.188.6. onebm.com. (
>> 			2003111224
>> 			10800
>>                          3600
>>                          604800
>>                          38400 )
>> onebm.com.	IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> mail.onebm.com. IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> smtp.onebm.com. IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> www.onebm.com.  IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> ftp.onebm.com.  IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> onebm.com.	IN	NS	ns1.onebm.com.
>> onebm.com.	IN	NS	ns2.onebm.com.
>> onebm.com.	IN	MX	5 mail.onebm.com.
>> mail.onebm.com. IN	PTR	onebm.com
>>=20
>> Client Zone File
>> $ttl 38400
>> abertron.co.uk.	IN	SOA	abertron01. gary at abertron.co.uk. (
>> 			2003111245
>> 			10800
>>                          3600
>>                          604800
>>                          38400 )
>> abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> mail.abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> www.abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> ftp.abertron.co.uk.		IN	A	69.56.188.6
>> abertron.co.uk.		IN	NS	ns1.onebm.com.
>> abertron.co.uk.		IN	NS	ns2.onebm.com.
>> abertron.co.uk.		IN	MX	5 mail.onebm.com.
>>=20
>> Basically nothing works from from home computer after I reboot the
>> server but I seem to be able to access the server from elsewhere after=
>> reboot so what on earth is going on here.
>>=20
>> I'm totaly confused any ideas.
>>=20
>> Thanks
>>=20
> [...]

Yes.

Get yourself a slave server, there exists a number who will
do this for free ( your ISP could be one ?)

Fix broken SOA ( first parameter should be FQDN of master server,
second should be an email to admin ( postmaster.onebm.com. )
last parameter is interpreted as "negative TTL and _should_ be=20
smaller ( 600 is a suggestion)=20

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,