DNS resolving without zone/domain information ?

Raemaekers Mark markraem at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 16:41:15 UTC 2004

I do have a network runnig several (LINUX, SOLARIS)
machines.

On each of the PCs I created the /etc/hosts file. In
this file every PC is referenced via IP address and a
SIMPLE name.

example :
127.0.0.1       localhost
10.4.0.80       linux1
10.50.0.2       linux2
10.10.0.65      apps1
10.10.0.70      apps2

This means that if I type  :
ping linux1
linux1 will be resolved via the hostfile into
10.4.0.80.

This works OK, but problem is if want to add new
machines, I need to adapt hosts file on every machine
in the network

My question is : Can Bind be used in a way that if I
type :

ping linux1,

the BIND server will resolve linux1 ? (of course
/etc/hosts files will be emptied)

I know that bind and DNS works with zones/domains. The
name linux1 however does not contain a domain portion
(.com, .net, ...). So I have doubts that is possible.

If this functionality can be achieved, how can this be
configured ?
If not, is there any other "DNS server" who could do
the job ?