view cache as tree?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 19:02:50 UTC 2004

Richard Hayward wrote:
> Using the Microsoft nameserver, the management application lets you
> view the resolved names in a tree structure.
> Is there any similar way of viewing the BIND cache? I'm running it on
> Linux.
rndc dumpdb
vi /...chrootjail../..chrootvar../named_dump.db

No pretty tree structure, indeed I'm not sure how it is ordered.

I find using "dig" and "doc" much more useful for troubleshooting, I
think only once has the cache dump proved really useful, and that was
because I wasn't understanding what "dig" was trying to tell me.