dig with and without +norec

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 28 05:52:39 UTC 2004

In article <c1p590$v89$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Ladislav Vobr <lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae> wrote:

> I am somehow resending my earlier post. Can somebody give a hint why
> recursive caching server behaves like this.

When you specify +norec, it answers with whatever it has in its cache,
which in this case is the delegation records that came from the parent
domain's servers.

When you request recursion, it checks whether the cached information
came from an authoritative server.  If not, it tries to ask the
authoritative servers.

I'm not sure why the recursive query is failing for you, though.  I have
no problem querying any of the authoritative nameservers.  However, it's
notable that your second dig returned the NS records in the Authority
Section rather than the Answer Section, and didn't include the glue A
records in the Additional Section.  What version of BIND are you running
on the server?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA