webserver test environment

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Fri Feb 27 14:01:22 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 02/26/2004 09:42:36 PM:
> On Thursday 26 February 2004 11:38 am, Gary wrote:
>
> > I assumed that I set up a master zone file and a slave for the two
> > nameservers (with my two IPs). You mention that this is wrong. How
> > should I set it up? With a 'backup' primary as the second nameserver?
>
> The concept of master and slave is local to the instance of bind
> running.

Actually, the concept of master and slave has no context at the server
level.  It has context only at the zone level.  A server can be master for
some zones and slave for others.  Some people say things like "my master
name server" and "slave name server" because they use one name server to
load all of their zones as master and the other name server to load their
slave zones.  However, it is important to remember that the terms master
and slave pertain only to zones, not servers.

Hope this helps,

Dave...