DNS + Web Interface

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Wed Feb 25 13:50:51 UTC 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 10:50 pm, John Callery wrote:

> I am planning to help design a primary/secondary DNS system similar
> to that of EasyDNS (www.easydns.com); where the client can use the
> services as their DNS hosting.

We're doing similarly John; perhaps we should discuss this offlist.

> We will be building the system with PHP, and I was wondering if
> someone could tell me how I can learn about how what the application
> will need to work with (for example, will the PHP application need to
> edit certain BIND records)...?

May I strongly suggest the latest edition of the "DNS and Bind" O'Reilly
book?  It's a good reference and has lots of helpful examples as well.

One thing though: all the examples I've seen for the bind.conf file show
multi-line records.  While multi-line records are easier for us humans
to parse, it's perfectly acceptable to use single-line records, and it
makes software parsing a lot easier.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation