Shouldn't a DNS and ReDNS lookup match?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Feb 23 21:04:13 UTC 2004

Dagwood Bumstead <dagwood at jcdithers.com> wrote:
> I have a situation where a mail from our host is being refused by
> another mail host.

> When running a DNS against our host name, the IP is returned
> correctly. But when running a reverse DNS for the IP address, our
> uplink provider is returning a completely different host name ending
> with their domain name instead of ours.

> They have said they can't change it.

> Isn't this an error in their system that they have to change?

> ===================

> In a different, but related situation, to help me understand, I have a
> different mail server that is hosted remotely. Pinging the host name
> returns the correct IP address, but the ReDNS on the IP returns the
> provider's host name (they are both the same machine; same IP
> address). How does this affect when some other mailserver does a ReDNS
> check to accept mail?

> Thanks for any help.

A provider that cannot change reverse-dns is a warningsignal. ( some ISP
will not do this, mostly in cable networks). If your ISP is that
cluless my only recommendation is to switch.

Said that, if anyone should be able to help you out you must summply
names and ip addresses of the involved systems.

--
Peter Håkanson