question about caching & bind

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Feb 18 20:45:32 UTC 2004

joe <bonggo at nospam.rocketmail.com> wrote:
> I appreciate your reply, although the "toy-operating systems" comment
> was really unnecessary. It happens, servers get re-booted, its a fact
> of life, but I still manage to sleep at night. I realize keeping the
> server up is the main goal, however my question still stands. Can I
> re-prime the cache as explained or is this is wasted effort.

> regards,
> Joel

The cache will reprime itself, and remember that most data in the cache
is less then a day old ( does anyone have figures of most common TTL
values ?) .

Rebooting has no value in itself, you have everything and your uncle
to gain from keeping your bind 'ticking'

Like this one :
bind  88174  0.0 15.3 80552 79176  ??  Ss   25Oct03  68:01.72 named -t /var/named -c /named.conf -u bind -n 2
                                            ^^^^^^

running bind-9.2.3 , downloaded and built that same day ...

 the machine self has been up :
 9:43PM  up 181 days, 13:58, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Of cource it's running a "brand OS" designed for reliability.

--
Peter Håkanson