DNS Server on LAN

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Feb 17 06:57:31 UTC 2004

Ben Heard <bdheard at netscape.net> wrote:
> I have a NAT'ing gateway router that doesn't support loopback. As such I
> can't use www.websever.org from machine A on my LAN to hit a webserver with
> a LAN IP address because the IP address associated with www.webserver.org
> is that of the router (external DNS server).

> So, I thought that I could run a DNS server on my LAN that only maps
> www.webserver.org to my LAN IP address and make the router look at my LAN
> DNS server as its primary server. All other name resolutions would go to
> the WAN once the LAN DNS server didn't provide an answer.

> The question is, how do I set up a named.conf file to support this?

> Thanks,
> Ben

What are you trying to do ? You are mixing terms that makes no sense to
me, a "router" does not care about dns-servers.

If i may guess, you have an internal rfc1918-net with  NAT device among
the path to Internet, and you have a resource on the inside you want to be
visible in DNS ( for clients on the same rfc1918-net as this server).

The answer is any form of "split-dns" where the world looks slightly
different depending of where you are.

There is a whole chapter ( http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/chapter/ch11.html )
of "DNS and BIND, 4th Edition" dedicated to this subject. I suggest you
read this and decide what tradeoff's you are willing to do.

--
Peter Håkanson