NOTIFY to slave does not initiate IXFR

Symon Symon at SaltireSoftware.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 10:19:06 UTC 2004

<phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote in message
news:bvu0li$1uhi$1 at sf1.isc.org...

> What versions of bind ? Snippets of config files ? what
> domain(s) ?

I've found the problem. I hadn't realised that debug information was being
written to a file called 'named.run' in the BIND base directory - I had
thought it was written to the syslog. As it happens, looking at this file
identified that the master IP address I had recorded in the 'named.conf' for
the slave configuration was incorrect. This was due to the masters network
adapter operating in promiscuous mode, responding to multiple IP addresses
and as a result, the notify message from the named server was received from
an unexpected IP address.

Thanks for your help all the same - I'm sure I'll be back sometime in the
future and will be sure to post more details of the installation.