Views and dyndns

Gary Mussar nobody at spamcop.net
Sat Feb 7 20:26:55 UTC 2004

I have about 30 zone running on bind 9.2.3. I am running with views because
I want to have one particular zone that serves different addresses for
internal queries and external queries. It appears that I have to replicate
all of our other zones in both views to allow internal and external queries
even though their data is identical (I wish there was a better way). This
isn't too bad because I just use the same database file for both the
internal and external views of the same zone.

I have run into a problem with one zone that has dynamic updates. I find
that the update occurs in the internal version of the zone and a journal
file is created. The internal zone serves up the updated information just
fine. The external version of the zone (which shared the same database file)
has no idea that anything changed and it keeps serving up the old
information. If I stop bind and restart, both the internal and external
zones read the same database/journal file and both end up in sync. This
doesn't seem to be a robust way of handling this.

Is there anyway to have one database/journal file that supports both the
internal and external views?

As a kludge, I have set up the external view's dyndns zone as a slave of the
internal view's zone (i.e. master {127.0.0.1;}) using a separate database
file. I set the refresh time to 5 minutes so that the external view's zone
should update from the internal view's zone within 5 minutes. This does seem
less than ideal. Is there a better way?

Gary