bind8 & bind9 dumpdb

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Sat Feb 7 03:10:57 UTC 2004

I used to look at the dumpdb file to see, where has the nameserver
learned the cached entries from, I have noticed, the dumpdb file in
bind9 has omitted such a IMHO very useful kind of information.

Is there a way to find the source of the cached records, in bind9, or I
just have overlooked it somehow.

for example example bind8 dumpdb

$ORIGIN ac.BE.
fucam   41017   IN      NS      dns.fucam.ac.be.        ;Cr=auth
[193.190.244.2]
         41017   IN      NS      ns.belnet.be.   ;Cr=auth [193.190.244.2]

bind9 dumpdb

; glue
ac.be.                  60577   NS      ns.belnet.be.
                         60577   NS      ns1.surfnet.nl.
                         60577   NS      ns3.belnet.be.

  'this is just an example, rrs' are not the same, just to show the
different kind of syntax and information in both dumpdb files'

Ladislav