DNS question

José Ricardo García Olivo ricardogarcia at ava.com.mx
Fri Feb 6 18:36:14 UTC 2004

Hello everybody, I need a little advice, hear my story

In my workplace there is a windows LAN with two windows workgroups,
everyone is used to communicating with the other computers via the
computer simple name, for example LabPC1, etc. We´ve found this to work
ok in some cases but not in other cases, so we are configuring a Linux
DNS server using Mandrake 9.2. The DNS is currently working fine
resolving internet adresses, but we want it to work also resolving
internal computer names, like LabPC1 etc. I´ve seen configurations about
this but all of them are the kind <hostName.domainName> like
ricardo.ava.com. I´m wondering if there is some kind of configuration
where I can use bind to relove just hostnames, again like LabPC1, etc.
Or is it that we have to use it that way?