BIND 8.4.4 assertion failure on Tru64

Mark Jones markjo at netins.net
Wed Feb 4 15:27:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:23:50 +1100
Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:
> 	The failure is compiler dependent.  Those compilers that
> 	consolidate constant strings work.  Those that don't
> 	fail.

Ah! Now the change from, for example, "handle_needs" to
&handle_needs_tag make sense to me.

On the Tru64 machines I was using default DEC/Compaq cc, and thus needed
the patch (or a different compiler) -
DEC C V5.8-015 on Digital UNIX V4.0 (Rev. 1091)
Compaq C V6.4-014 on Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885)

On the Solaris 8 machine I was using GNU gcc v3.2.2 - that does not need
the patch.

Now I know why my college sometimes swears at DEC cc then installs gcc...

Mark A Jones
Systems Administrator
netINS, Inc.   http://netins.net
(515) 830-0698   markjo at netins.net