DNS on Lnux Problem

Roger Ward roger.ward at national-net.com
Tue Feb 3 19:28:49 UTC 2004

First, do not use forwarding statements.  They will defer all queries as
you have realized to wherever you forward them to.

Second, setup a third level domain, and modify the dns search order of
your internal machines (on Unix machines it is done via
/etc/resolv.conf... You CAN have multiple search statements like 'search
internal.domain.com' and 'search domain.com'), and in windows, it is
done in the network connections area under the control panel (there are
other ways to get to the connection properties, but since windows has
many different versions, let me know if you can't find it and what
version you may use.

You should never configure a domain on an internal DNS server you want
to operate from your internal lan.  It complicates things... The only
two ways you could do it is either configure your ISPs nameservers to
accept updates from you (highly unlikely, as I have had this request,
and we cannot do it for our customers), or to use a different domain -
at least a different sub-domain.  Make sure in /etc/named.conf (or in
whatever include file you have) the 'zone' if you choose to do a
subdomain, is set correctly (and not set to the original domain).

I hope this gives you an idea or two, feel free to reply if not.

--
Roger Ward