Configuration confusion

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 2 23:08:03 UTC 2004

Daniel Hogan wrote:

>HuMPie <humpie <at> grunn.org> writes:
>

>>Why don't you install a caching named server  <at> home so you don't need the
>>ISP named server anymore and you can query the request by your own...
>>

>Well, first of all, this isn't for home....this is for the school system in
>which I am employed at. :-)
>
>I'm looking at caching the information on the ISP's server, but also adding data
>only to our server (in the same domain) that only applies to our office and
>schools.  This is what I'm confused about on how to do IF it is even possible.

Yes, this is possible, but only if one adopts a very technical
definition of the term "domain", one that is recursive and also applies
to all subdomains as well. If your ISP hosts, for example, the
"richland.k12.la.us" zone, then you could define a zone on your internal
server(s) for a subdomain of that, e.g. "internal.richland.k12.la.us",
and add whatever entries you want to it, which would not necessarily be
visible to the outside world (unless you wanted it to be). What you
can't do, though, is add entries in exactly the same subdomain as what
is hosted externally, and that's probably what you were looking to do...

- Kevin